Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!

When Chad and I got married, he promised my parents that he would take me home to Australia every 2 years. So far he has fulfilled that promise and we just got back from our 7th trip since being married. Each time we go it is in August because it works well with Chads work schedule, summer vacation and the frequent flier airline miles that we use. It also is a horrible time to go - 1st of all it is the middle of winter, now their winters are really pretty mild, but one of the greatest things about Australia are the beaches and my parents live a quarter of a mile if that from the beach so I wish we could be there for a summer visit to really be able to appreciate the most beautiful beaches ever! Secondly the kids have a ton of cousins but they are in school at the time of our visit so that is really hard for everyone!

We had another fantastic trip. Chad and I were not worried about the ridiculously long plane trip because this is the first time with no really young kids, so we figured it would be a piece of cake. They actually did do well, but I guess that trip could never really be considered a piece of cake! We did so many fun things and took so many good pictures, I am going to have to break these posts up into sections.


One of the things the kids like to do is to see the kangaroos. We went to the zoo one day, but it is not the same as seeing a dead one on the side of the road, or a bunch of them in the wild. You see a lot of them in places that are not so built up, like in the bush, sometimes in parks and a lot of times on golf courses. A great place to see them just a few minutes from my parents house is at a cemetery, so that is exactly where we went, right at dusk when they were coming out to feed.

I love this picture - I dont think they come much better than this, handsome boy and cool kangaroo!

We brought some bread with us to feed them and they completely loved it, the kids kept getting worried that they were getting too close. We later saw a sign that said no feeding the kangaroos but by then we only had 2 slices left, what the heck we had already done the damage, so we finished off the rest!

We did this on a self timer, so Chad had to slowly get back into the picture without scaring away the kangaroos but also in time for the picture to be taken. It was pretty funny!

There were so many kangaroos with baby joeys in their pouches - it must have been the time of year. It was really cool seeing them all, notice all the poop everywhere!

8 comments:

Tiffany Downs said...

Can I be apart of your family? Looks like a blast!!!

~Riley~ said...

can i come wiht you next time? lol jk
glad to have you back though....

alisha said...

What a fabulous vacation! only two more years until next time...

Julie said...

LOVE the picture of Trent with the kangroos in the background. It's exactly what I picture when I think of Australia!!

Julie said...

ps-can I just say that we missed you, and we're so glad that you're home!!

Danielle said...

Nothing like a family photo taken at the local cemetery!! How funny are you guys??

Admittedly...we do go there to play in the cool playground and visit Glenn's dad. Not for the kangaroos though...every time we get too close, someone ends up coming home with a tick!

Now...any time you bloggers want to visit...I will make room for you on my couch! We are only a 7 minute drive from the beach too....come any time!

Rach, it was good seeing you guys again...guess it's our turn to do some flying next huh?? xoxo

Chessa K said...

I'm with Danielle - I was laughing when I saw the family photo in the cemetary! Looks like you had so much fun and we can't wait for the rest of the posts....we missed you guys terribly!

Team Fifield said...

How cool is that?! ONE DAY...