Monday, August 25, 2008

Keeping with the wildlife theme



My family in Australia likes to go on picnics. We dont go on so many because my husband has a little bit of a problem eating outside, you know the bugs and stuff, but when we are with my family he does a good job of grinning and bearing it. I swear he even enjoys himself the majority of the time, but he doesnt want us to know that! Living in Perth there are always so many beautiful places that are within an hours drive of a great place to explore, play and have a little picnic. These pictures are from 2 days - Bells Rapids and another in a national park in the hills, both times we were joined by various family members and we had great times.


This is taken above Bells Rapids, there was a big 2 day kayaking race going on that weekend, and the water was really gushing under the bridge. We hiked up this mountain and were quite proud of ourselves.

We found this swing and had a great time taking turns


These birds are everywhere in Australia, we call them 28s, I dont know the official name for them. Chad sat down and starting feeding them, my mum called him the bird man. Pretty soon the kids were copying him and we had them eating off their heads, shoulders, hands, you name it!

So have you heard that song about the kookaburra - you know kookaburra sits in the old gum tree, merry merry king of the bush is he! Well we were eating lunch and there were birds every where, all of a sudden a kookaburra stole a piece of steak from my plate, it literally swooped down and took it away. So we tried a little experiment to see if they really liked steak - yeah I suppose they do!

6 comments:

Janey said...

oh Poor Chad, we always make him eat outside, the kookaburras must have FREAKED him out. What a great time. Rach you really need to come see Wicked! again. I love it! Hope all is well!

Danielle said...

Those birds are officially the 'Australian Ringneck'...who knows how they got known as '28s', but they did.

I am with Chad on the whole eating outside thing. Too many giant killer ants, blowies and other poisonous or revolting bugs around. Eat inside and then go outside to play.

Your photos make home look more interesting. Guess we take it for granted! xoxo

Chessa said...

What a beautiful area for a picnic! If the scenery is nice, then it's all worth it!

And I would've freaked out at the kookaburra thing. I don't like feeding animals....

Theresa said...

Beautiful pictures! I'm glad you had a great time with your family. However, it appears to me that Chad is flipping us off in the first picture (the group shot). I guess he really didn't want to go on the picnic...

Chad Gharring said...

Theresa you let out my secret. No one was supposed to know.

All I can say is oops...

Team Fifield said...

You are a brave girl! I had a seagull swoop down and steal a mini pizza right out of my hands at Sea World and I've been traumitized ever since!