Wednesday, April 9, 2008

How long have we lived here?

So we have been residents of Temecula for 9 years now and not once have we visited Santa Rosa Plateau. We have heard about it, been told to go, some of the kids have even been on field trips to it and still never been. Well all that has changed. With my parents here and it being the last official day of spring break, we wanted an adventure! We are always wanting to go places and see new things and we were told that at this time of year the wildflowers were in full bloom. We were not disappointed. I couldnt believe that such a short distance from our house was this beautiful area that felt like we were in the middle of the sound of music. In all we hiked just over 3 and a half miles. We hiked to the vernal pools which were full and Abby and Luke were in heaven. Not only were they full of tadpoles, but they were also full of Garter snakes. Really there were so many snakes swimming in the water and then they would come up onto the boardwalk to get some sun. They were very cool to watch, Hayley and my mum didnt think so but the rest of us did. Then we hiked to the adobes where we had lunch and turned around again. WE had to stop by the snakes again on the way back and then I couldnt rip Luke and Abby away from them.
All in all a fun day and now I am proud to say that I have visited Santa Rosa Plateau and it was really fun and beautiful - it only took me what 9 years!

Starting off on the hike

Mun Dad and Trent, with Abby in the background, it was so green!

At lunch Luke kept carrying around this big broken branch from a tree, he is pretty strong!

Hayley climbing some of the rocks by the adobes

How sweet is this!

Told Ya!

Dont worry they are completely harmless.

7 comments:

Chessa K said...

Rachel - WOW! You're impressing me with your two updates this week alone! Santa Rosa sounds great and we haven't been, either...maybe we'll hit it some time soon - it looks beautiful!

Julie said...

I think that I would side with your mom & Hayley...YUCK!!! The hike would have been fantastic...but the snakes? No thanks!

Aimee said...

I so wanted to go during spring break...we have been here 6 years and have never been. In fact I wanted to go on Friday but I had a house full of sick people.

heidi said...

You killed the trip for me when you mentioned the snakes. I'm with Julie on that one--No Thanks!

I would love a new place to go though and hike and take the kids out, maybe I'll hire you to do that for me--$10 bucks an hour?

Theresa said...

It is nice out there, isn't it? Kevin and I biked up there once and came across a real, live rattlesnake! They have a snake in the little vistor's center (or whatever it is they call it) that the kids can touch. Apparently its name is Rosie.

Debbie said...

have i ever told you how much i hate snakes? i will for sure never go there because of this post and what theresa wrote {seeing a rattlesnake}, yuck!

glad you guys had so much fun though:)

Danielle said...

Wow....I am out of computer action for a few days....and you have blogged again. I am impressed.

Can I just say....I LOVE Abby's t-shirt!! We need to get some of those for the Gransdens!

Cute pic with your Dad...you will cherish that one.

Very 'the hills are alive'...but so are the snakes...grosse!! xoxo