Friday night we got to go down to San Diego and go to a book signing with Stephanie Meyer. She is the author of the Twilight series and has just come out with her new book The Host. We made it a family affair, so all my sister in laws on Chad's side, my mother in law (against her will) , Hayley and her cousin Madi. The majority of us had read her books and loved them and were really excited to hear her speak, get our books autographed and be able to speak with her briefly. Let me start by saying that there were some pretty crazy fans there, and wow I thought I liked the books, well apparently alot of people not just love the books but they are completely obsessed with the books. A ton of people had the t shirts or had on homemade t shirts, while we were waiting for it to start some people did reenactments of scenes from the books and every time the word Edward or Twilight was mentioned there was a whole lot of screaming that took place.
We got to the event about and hour and a half early, we were numbers 465ish out of about 950, so much for sitting up close! She spoke for maybe 20 minutes answering prewritten questions about the new book, the Twilight movie and books, her writing process and how the success has changed her life. She spoke super fast but was very well spoken, quite funny and extremely likable. Then everyone was to line up going in order 1 through 950 or whatever. She would personalize the Host and then sign 2 other books. Surprisingly she moved pretty fast, we waited probably and hour and a half and she hadnt taken a break. They were hoping to be done in 4 hours, by midnight, the poor lady, her hand must have been dying. I still feel like she looked at me and spoke to me, answered a question, smiled and for the short time was quite personable. The huge bummer was that you were not allowed to take any photographs - how much does that suck! I understand for timing and stuff, but it was a major bummer!
The best we could do for a photo opportunity, unless we wanted our cameras taken away
Afterward we went to Cheesecake Factory, delicious, and ate dinner way too late and way too much. We didn't get home until about 1:30, remember I had Hayley with me! It was a good night with family, doing something I had never done before. Cant wait till August 2 when the last in the series comes out!
White chocolate raspberry cheesecake - my favorite!

5 comments:
MAN!!!! NOT FAIR!! And I am saying that in a very whingey voice.
That is very exciting. I love book-signings....but to go see Stephenie would be BRILLIANT. I am very jealous. Couldn't you have got me a special copy...for a far-away friend?
I can imagine all the obsessed psychos. We are beginning to get a few of them here too. There are dedicated Aussie websites now. It's getting like Harry Potter....but Twilight is soooo much better.
Have you read The Host yet? You like?
I am going to put you on my Book-Blog.
I am green....xoxo
How fun!! I am dying that Sue was there against her will...send me!! Glad you had fun!
Glad you got to go...Abby was so fun to have, as always...envying that white chocolate cheesecake!
Sounds like so much fun! Have you started reading the Host yet? I'm curious how it is!
Alright, so the obsession lives on. Leah and I both wear our Edward Cullen fan club shirts seriously but even worse, I also have a Jacob Black one. GEEK ALERT! I am so excited for the next book and the movie. Reading the host right now too. Hope you all had fun!
Post a Comment