Monday, September 22, 2008

A little kayaking


I am really into doing things lately that are semi adventerous and fun! This weekend we got a small group of couples together to go down to La Jolla and kayak. We decided on a tour so we could go through the 7 caves and learn a little at the same time.

We started off by being outfitted with life vests and helmets - what the heck, it couldn't be that dangerous, but I figured maybe with the caves it could get a little dicey if there was a swell. We all felt so cute!

Here we are going into a cave, it turned out to be too dangerous to go into any of the others because of the swell, no one else was going in but our cool guide picked a perfect time for us to all to go through super quickly right before another small set came in, even though they weren't huge, when you saw what the water did in the caves you realized you did not want to be in there when the wave hit!

We had fun having races, having kelp fights, playing bumper boats, scaring Jeni and especially the kayak surfing. We were told that he usually doesnt take groups to do this because most cant handle it and he spends so much time helping them get back in the boat after capsizing. It was way fun, Chad and I capsized the 1st 2 waves, but nailed our next ones. We needed no help and all laughed super hard!

How about this for a piece of seaweed - can you imagine popping this one!

I have photos of the Brays and Carpenters because they didnt have cameras so I took pictures for them, the Konolds and Lundquists had waterproof cameras and took lots of good shots too, check out their posts about the day.
One part that I was particularly excited about was seeing the leopard sharks, this was another part that made Jeni so scared (she is not fond of the ocean but was a great sport for her husband) We found a bunch of them but the water wasnt so clear and we could only make out the dark shadows. I so want to go back and snorkel when it is clearer and more calm. Leopard sharks are completely harmless, but that didnt seem to make Jeni feel any better.

Our after picture, what this picture doesn't show is our numb phalanges, I couldn't get any color or feeling to my fingers for the next 10 minutes. It was funny that we didn't realize how cold we were until we came in and couldn't stop shivering! Good day, good company, good adventure! Even better when we got some hot chocolate in us to warm our insides.

9 comments:

Debbie said...

totally fun! i am sad aaron and i missed out on this one. happy birthday!!!!

heidi said...

looks like a very adventurous day. glad you're birthday was fun!

Chessa said...

so super fun - we do need to go back when it isn't so choppy out there....I think I still need a hot chocolate...any morning...game?

Wendy said...

Happy belated Birthday Rachel! And CONGRATULATIONS on becoming a US Citizen! What a great week for you!

Danielle said...

That seaweed is disgusting! It looks like a Triffid!!

I am glad you have such adventurous friends over there. You guys look so happy.

I, on the other hand, will be glad to meet you for some Extreme Karaoke and Dancing anytime!!

Happy Birthday Ocean Girl!! xoxo
(do you have that show??)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for planning a fun b-day. I think the shooting range is up next. We had to go to the jacuzzi after getting home to warm us up. We want to go back with the kids next summer.

Team Fifield said...

So fun! Love the monstrous seaweed. Hilarious! Bummed we couldn't make it! :( Sounded like a blast.

Johnson said...

How fun! It looked so beautiful. Hayden just said, where is the leopard shark picture. Sounds like you all had a blast. There are so many fun things around us, we need to do a better job of doing the fun things this area has to offer. What a blast.

alisha said...

what a great time! my husband is sure to be real jealous. i had no idea there would really be sharks out there....i'll have to rethink ever doing that!