I often am asked questions about different foods that we have in Australia. Besides the more well known ones of vegemite and meat pies, I consider fish and chips to be very dinky di Aussie. There are many foods that I miss but fish and chips is one than I can actually get over here, so I have tried them at many places and many restaurants just trying to find some that taste like the ones at home. So far I haven't done too well. Chad doesn't like this habit because I enjoy them drenched in malt vinegar and he literally wants to throw up at the smell of it, so the whole restaurant thing is kind of hard when I am trying them with him. When we go home to visit every second year, we almost have a little tradition of having fish and chips the first night we get there and my whole family (grandparents, cousins, you name it)come over to see us and to partake. This works for Chad because I dont have to be sitting next to him, he can just smother his in lemons and be happy not to smell the delicious smell of vinegar while catching up with my family - in another room!
Well my mother in law has been telling me about Killarneys Irish pub on highway 79 that has good fish and chips, so yesterday in celebration of my sister in law Brittanys bday we decided to try it out. Not too shabby - I actually was quite impressed and quite enjoyed them smothered in malt vinegar and all, Chad was no where to be seen. I think they probably taste the closest to home that I have found (and I have searched - we are talking San Francisco, Monterey, San Diego, Oceanside!) - yay and it is so close to home! So the next time I get the urge I am so excited that all I have to do is drive down the street! I love Temecula!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
oh, i want to go and try them. you make them sound so good!
last night was fun, i wish i had a voice though to sing "waaanted" with you guys!
Sounds tasty, Rachel. (You probably couldn't sense my sarcasm. I'm not much of a fish person.)
sorry rach but that kinda sounds... umm... disgusting. anyways hows lukies head? sounded painful
ri
eww fish. i hate all seafood
sounds like a quest has been conquered. fish and chips isn't for me--but who knows, maybe I should give it a try.
I'll go anytime with you and I LOVE malt vinegar on mine (just a habit I picked up in the UK)...so next time you get the craving, call me up, I'm game!
hey rach
i am so glad you had fish&chips yesterday (wednesday??)...because it was Ash Wednesday...and you're not allowed to eat red meat on Ash Wednesday...especially if you are a good pseudo-Catholic!!
Zach came home from school with a huge ash cross on his head....i took a photo and was going to blog it...but then thought i might offend some of my very lovely catholic friends...so i didn't. but you can imagine!!
by the way rach's american friends.... fish&chips is a disgusting aussie tradition that we 'scabbed' from england. they are greasy and smelly and grimy and make you feel sick. with that in mind...it is the law to eat them at least once a year...just so you don't forget how grosse they are!! like KFC...you miss it until about 5 minutes after you eat it!!
enjoy xoxo
They were good!
We LOVE fish and chips! The more malt vinegar the better...I love how your lips and tongue tingle afterwards. Anyway, our absolute favorite place ever to get it is at Eat At Joes in Redondo Beach on Pacific Coast Highway...seriously, they are amazing!
Post a Comment