Friday, October 17, 2008

Yeah I would call it OBSESSED


We are a BYU football family. We love the games, we love the players, we love the program, we love the school and we love to see them do well. Chad grew up with Y football, not just each season, but the whole recruiting process all year long, the special newsletters and now emails. He and his dad would drive up to several games a year, leaving early in the morning, watching the game and sometimes turning right back around and driving back to California that night ( yeah I would call that obsessed). He started his obsession early and it continues today. My very 1st BYU game was with Chad. My freshman year of college in 1990 versus Miami, a night game and it was a huge upset with BYU winning. It was one of the most exciting things I have been too. We continued to go to all the games together while we were at school. Then we started a family. Our oldest son Trent is following in his fathers footsteps and then some and loves sports. He loves to watch, play, read about, know all statistics, follow, talk everything sports. Of course he LOVES BYU football - how could he not?

It just so conveniently happened that Chad was in Dallas this week for work and was able to attend the TCU game, amazing how things like that coincide. His Dad flew in so they could see the game together. These 2 are pretty funny, well they take it very seriously actually. If they are not together during a game, they are calling each other constantly throughout the game and then a huge dissection of the game always happens after the game. Well you probably know and who wouldn't know that BYU freakin lost badly tonight to TCU. It was a huge game for them and agonizing to watch, it makes for a very miserable husband and son. The very interesting thing to watch tonight was Trent. He started off super depressed just laying there, hands over head (even a little tear or two, but I pretended I didn't see), completely in shock and so sad over what could have been for the cougars and their ranking and BCS bowl bid. That depression soon turned to grumpiness, he was mad and wouldn't do anything I asked of him (not like my boy). I could not get this boy out of his funk, so I sent him to bed. Then a little while after he told me he felt sick to his stomach, not like he needed to use the bathroom and not like he was going to throw up just really yucky! My poor boy, this loss made him depressed, mad and then sick. Later he came downstairs and apologized for his moods and said he was just really sad - Oh my gosh boys and their sports. I am kind of glad Chad is gone because he would be depressed and moping too, I dont know if I could handle them both.

The Las Vegas bowl 2006 - we stormed the field after BYU beat Oregon very convincingly, then my battery camera died right as I was taking photos of Trent with the players!

We still love our cougars even when they lose, and lately that hasnt been too often, this game marked the end of there 16 game winning streak (longest in the nation). I am sure our future holds plenty more games that are watched and attended and plenty more times singing - Rise and Shout the cougars are out!

We start them young


FUUUUUUI


4 comments:

Heather said...

How Funny! I grew up with only option as far as college went - BYU! I seriously didn't even know that there were other colleges to go to. My parents are die hard fans of the Y! My dad has been known to let the tears flow when BYU wins or loses!

Goota love our Cougars!!!

TheIsom8 said...

This is great-reminds me of my brother-in-law! Completely! And we love him for teaching us (& our kids) how to be better fans than we were! Go Cougars! :-)

Danielle said...

Good to know that males behave the same way...the world over.

I hate the 'losing' hangover...foul moods, sad faces, grunts and kicks to the furniture or whatever toy is in their way. I just make myself scarce and let them ride it out!!

Eagles have had such a dismal year...I think they stopped worrying after a while. ;o)

But...we love 'em anyway. (our boys that is, not the Eagles) xoxo

Tiffany Downs said...

Bleed Blue. . .baby