Friday, April 3, 2009

Day 3 - final day in London


We had a plan - get to the London Eye in the morning before it was supposed to start raining and before the crowds. On the Saturday we saw long lines and Chad is not fond of long lines. We scored no line, blue skies and a perfect flight on the London eye! You go into one of these capsules and slowly rotate, like a giant ferris wheel. The whole ride takes about 30 minutes and the whole time you have the most magnificent views of London and beyond
.



It was so peaceful and so cool. There were spectacular 360 degree views. We could even see the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace from up there - which is the one thing I feel like I would have wanted to do that we didnt but I guess I could say that that technically I did.
We got a kick out of all the red phone booths everywhere


Trafalgar Square (officially my fave property on the monopoly board)


Horse Guards Tower
There were daffodils everywhere - spring had definitely sprung. Here we are in Hyde park frolicking in the daffodils
When it just started to rain we went into the National Gallery and did a little tour. It was so interesting, we saw the originals of a ton of very famous paintings including Van Goghs still life and Rembrandts self portrait. When we came out it had stopped raining - perfect timing! We continued to explore, Chad even took us into a crypt, we watched them set up for a movie premiere in Leicester Square and then we finally had a good meal before our big night out.

I was so excited to see a show in the West End, we decided on Hairspray - loved it! The area is full of theaters with so many shows playing. The theaters are different than here. They are so old and so charming. They are a lot smaller and so the performance was alot more personal and interactive, so great. I could so happily and so easily go and see a different show every night and be in pure heaven.

The next morning we headed to Heathrow and were home after a full on, busy non stop sight seeing trip. It was a blast, Hayley kept up with us the whole time and didn't complain with all the walking and things we wanted to do. I loved London, I really feel like I got such a feel for the city in the short time we were there. We got to do and see so much. I love to travel and cant wait till our next trip!

8 comments:

Maria said...

I grew up with the same Monopolopy version you did. It is my favorite. I didn't even know there were different versions until I was a teenager.

Janey said...

Ah Looks like you had a great time! Monopoly it up!You missed Notting Hill though, lucky the set was in Universal Studios and the parkbench is now in Perth so next time you come, I can take you! Looks like you had a great English Country Outing - gotta love it! Glad you had so much fun.

Debbie said...

that looks like a wonderful trip! you guys did so much! i think it is a great idea to take each kid on their own trip:) we might have to do that.

Heather said...

Rachel - What an amazing trip! Wow! We went there several years ago and had the BEST time - that is so great to take each child on a separate trip! I love all of your pictures!

Danielle said...

WOW!! I feel exhausted just reading you blog. I can't believe how much you fitted into 3 days...well done!! It really is so different from where you live now and here, isn't it? So much history.
I'm glad you had such a great time. Impressive blogging too. ;o)
xoxo

Tyler and Karen Davis said...

What a fun trip. We're jealous!

Naomi said...

What an amazing trip! It is so neat that you were able to do it all with Hayley--she will remember it for the rest of her life! I think that is such a great tradition. Plus, think of all the great places you will get to go in taking each kid to a different place. Nicely done.

Sharon said...

Sounds like such a FUN trip! We "almost" went to London last fall--then Gary's company canceled his business trip there a few weeks before we were to leave! We even had tickets to see Wicked! Would be so fun to take the oldest! A WHOLE different trip! :)