Sunday, November 18, 2007

The Derby


Thursday night was Trent's last Pinewood Derby. I didn't get to go because it was also Hayley's championship game in ward basketball which they won in a really exciting game 28-27. This year Trent (well all of us) were bound and determined to do well in the race because in the previous years he hasn't done so well. We started working on the cars a few weeks earlier, mainly because Chad was going to be traveling and we couldn't wait till the last minute. This year there was a Dads/siblings competition as well, which really turned into a Luke's car. We thought out of the 2 cars Trent would get the faster one, and Luke of course wanted his to look just like Trent - BYU cars! We even called the winner from last year and got all of his secrets and he even helped us attach the wheels, however the weighting job was up to me because Chad was gone. Come race night Trents car came a very respectful 5th place overall, but I guess Luke got the faster car because his came first every time in the family competition. As you can imagine he thought it was the greatest thing and loved every second of it - so I am told!


This weekend we decided to get a new trampoline to replace the one that was blown away and destroyed in the winds. We got this industrial strength (so it seems), square trampoline from Sams Club and spent all afternoon putting it together. When we were almost done our neighbor informed us that next Wednesday the Santa Ana winds are supposed to return (sigh), so I guess we will see how this one stands up. Seeing Chad and I can barely move it I think we will be o.k., but I guess we never thought that the other one could blow over the fence either - I'll keep you posted.

4 comments:

heidi said...

we never did too well at the derby's either. We always thought...next year we'll do it, again--losers. When Dylan starts cubs, we are going to try again.
I'm pretty sure we'll lose again-
at least the kids love the races and especially the cake at the end.

~Riley~ said...

good luck with the trampoline thing. all ours lost in the winds was the spring cover-thing. good luck!!!

Unknown said...

Congratulations Hayley on the win in basketball . Well done Trent and Luke .Will have to get some tips on driving .

Love

Gran and Grandad

madi said...

GOOD JOB HAYLEY, TRENT, AND LUKE! Sorry about your trampoline - hope the new one can stand the winds.