Wednesday, October 24, 2007

FIRES!



Not a very fun time around here lately. The news and outside is absolutely crazy, we are on edge and very unsettled. It is so hard to not stay planted in front of the TV or computer watching for updates. Chads parents have been evacuated but they now know their house is ok. Chads brother and his wife have been evacuated since early Mon morning and still have no news. Below is a picture from our house yesterday of a fire behind us, there are also fires to the west that we see. Thankfully the winds have died down today. They have been unbelievable the last few days, as well as low low humidity and hot temperatures - the perfect ingredients for a fire storm - well we got it. In fact it was so windy the other day my friend came to help me stake up some trees that had blown over when we noticed the fence was blown over, I went to look at it and realized that our trampoline had blown over the fence into our neighbors yard.

I have a good husband, it got a little scary the other night when we could see flames coming into Temecula, so he straight away got on a flight and came home. It made me feel so much better to have him home. I am sharing him with my neighbor whose husband is a firefighter and gone for who knows how long, she is also pregnant with twins.

Our prayers go out to all affected by these fires. The firefighters are so brave, we got our own little taste of being in a fire Sun night when I was meeting my sis in law half way from Palm Desert to pick up Hayley (she had been staying with them for the weekend) About 100ft from the turnoff to get there we were all of a sudden surrounded by flames on either side of us it was completely black and eerie. I was so close to Hayley and just wanted to continue on to get to her. The kids started crying and telling me to turn around so we back tracked and went the very long way.

More bad news is the BYU/SDSU game that we bought 50 tickets for this weekend is canceled. All games in the San Diego area are completely canceled for all sorts of reasons. So our big BYU game and party is now not going to happen, I feel a little silly for being upset about it though with everything that is going on.

So kind of a downer of a post - sorry, not much good stuff to report.

6 comments:

Julie said...

This is so strange...I almost feel depressed or something...it's a real bummer. I can't turn the news off either.
ps I did end up sending my kids to school today. I just made sure Cord took all of his medications, and I'll be up there on a minutes notice!

Unknown said...

Rachel

Glad to know all is well . We have been watching the fires on TV . Homes have just been disappearing as we have been watching . Sure hope rain or some other form of divine intervention occurs.

Love

Mum and Dad

madi said...

Hey

Sorry that the smoke is so bad out there, boy am i glad i live down here in Palm Desert. i am going to Disneyland tomorrow and there is supposed to be smoke there too. oh well i'll see

Luv madi

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you guys are safe and well and that Chad is home with you now.

You've got a cool Blog Rach! We check for new posts each day. We'll have to start one also.....when we get around to it!

Rachel said...

Simon
Yay, I would love if you guys started one too. It would be great to hear what you guys are up to on a consistent basis. So excited for Dec.

heidi said...

this is crazy isn't it? hope you guys are safe--haven't turned the news on yet this morning. the sky sure looks smoky though. hope all is well!